Thursday, October 30, 2008

In Memory of Amelia


One of my precious piggies went to piggie heaven Monday. Amelia was the guinea pig that started it all for me. Here she is on the first day I brought her home. She was very skiddish at first (I even wrote a story about it) but she came out of her shell quite nicely and she was a very good pig! I named her Amelia after an audio book about Amelia Earhart I listened to on a road trip to Oakland for a wedding. The Sunday I came back into town I stopped at the Petsmart in Alhambra and brought her home. I had her for 4 1/2 years and I got her at a time in life when I was living alone in Pasadena and needed something small and furry to care for. She seemed to go quickly and gently and I knew something was wrong with her that morning - so I snuggled her and got to tell her how much I loved her. That night, Derek found her in the cage and she was just laying on her side. We buried her in the front under our big oak tree. I will miss her but I know she led a good piggie life.



Here Amelia is 'helping' Isabelle when the baby piggies were born!




I will miss you, Amelia!

1 comment:

Launa said...

I remember the day you got Amelia, and where she got her name. She was a great pet to add to your life at the time. That's when I was grandma to only piggies and loved it. We loved when she had sleep-overs in San Clemente.